Types of Car Seats
- INFANT CAR SEAT
Infant Car seats are rear facing only and for children up to 22lbs (models may vary). They are smaller in size to securely protect infants and the safest choice for your newborn. They are equipped with a detachable base that can stay in your car. Just lift the carrier right from the base using the built-in handle, and it can be used as a baby carrier or clicked into a stroller base. With an Infant Seat, there is no need to wake your sleeping baby to transfer them to a stroller or carrier. Some strollers are designed to accept infant seats or you can purchase an empty stroller frame. Infant Car Seats will have multiple recline positions to prevent their head from falling forward and allow baby to rest comfortably.
TRAVEL SYSTEMS are available for infant seats. These include the infant car seat, detachable base and stroller sold together.
- CONVERTIBLE SEATS
Convertible seats are the most flexible design and will provide you with the longest use. They can initially be used rear facing for infants up to 30lbs (models may vary) or 1 year old, eliminating the need for the Infant Car Seat. They are then turned front facing for children up to 40lbs, with some models going up to 80lbs (models may vary). Convertible seats are not stroller compatible; therefore you will need to take your sleeping baby out of the seat to be placed in a carrier or stroller.
- TODDLER BOOSTER
A forward facing only seat, the Toddler Booster holds toddlers from 20-40lbs (models may vary). It is equipped with a high back and low seat; it's a "big kid" car seat. Once your child reaches 40lbs you can detach from the LATCH system (further described below), remove the harness and use the seat belts to safely strap them in.
- BOOSTER SEAT
Booster seats use the seat belts and not the LATCH system. They are meant for children 40-80lbs (models may vary). They can have either a high back or be backless. The ultimate "Big Kid" car seat!
Since all car seats vary, be sure to check which features are available on each specific safety seat.
- LATCH : If you have a LATCH equipped car, be sure to select a car seat that is also LATCH equipped for easier installation and safety.
- 5 Point Harness : With straps that go over the shoulders, the hips and between the legs, the 5 Point Harness is the safest choice. Most Car Seats are now equipped with this feature, though there may still be some with a 3 Point Harness.
- One Handed Reclining Feature : Makes it easier to position the seat properly.
- Level Indicator : Once the seat is in position, the level indicator will tell you if the seat is properly in place.
- Washable, Removable Cover offers the added ease of use and care.
- Easily Adjustable Harness : Some seats offer the ability to adjust the harness from the front which is much easier than trying to maneuver the straps from the back of the seat.
As you make your selections, try out the seats. Feel how heavy it is. You may find some heavier than others, which may be a concern for infant seats that you will be using as a baby carrier. If you're like most, you will be spending a lot of time going in and out of the car. Make sure the car seat is an added convenience and not too cumbersome.