We should note that some bottles are sold as "bottle systems," a unique combination of bottle and nipple which is designed to help reduce the flow of air to baby. This air reduction helps eliminate gas, colic and fussiness, all of which helps make feeding time more enjoyable for both you and baby.
Standard bottles are reusable and generally easy to clean. Think of the more old fashioned simple straight bottles. They offer no special mechanism or feature to help keep air from getting into baby's tummy. They can be found in both glass and plastic.
- Natural Feeding
Natural Feeding bottles have trademarked anti-vacuum or venting designs to reduce air flow to baby and allow proper flow of milk. Natural Feeding style bottles are generally sold as "Bottle Systems."
Angled bottles make feeding in a semi-upright position a little more comfortable. With the proper nipple they will also help reduce air flow to baby.
Disposable bottles use liners which drop right into the bottle. The liners collapse as the baby suckles, removing air bubbles. Since the liner is easily tossed away once the bottle is finished, they make cleaning a snap. You will find "Bottle Systems" available with Disposable liners as well.
Some breast pumps offer both bottles and liners to help with the storage of breast milk. Filled liners can be safely frozen or placed in the refrigerator. Be sure to discuss how to properly store breast milk with your Pediatrician.
TYPES OF NIPPLES
It may take a couple tries to find a bottle and nipple combination that both you and your baby are happy with, but trust there are many to choose from. We should note that not all bottles and nipples are compatible. Be sure to check when you make your selections. Common nipple types and features include:
- Age Appropriate Nipples will ensure the proper flow of milk for each age level. Too fast a flow for the smallest infants can be distressing, while those hungry older babies will enjoy feeding more rapidly.
- Natural Shape Nipples feel more like the natural breast and can help make it easier for breastfed babies to alternate from bottle to breast. Generally paired with the Natural Feeding bottle systems.
- Orthodontic Shaped Nipples promote healthy oral development for baby.
- Latex Nipples will be golden in color. Though they are softer and more flexible than Silicone, however, they are porous which could allow for the build up of bacteria, and odors.
- Silicone Nipples are durable, won't absorb odors and are heat resistant. Unlike Latex, they will better hold their shape and are less porous, which can help to reduce the build up of bacteria in the nipple.
- Venting or Anti-vacuum designs control air from being swallowed helping to prevent colic and gas.
As always, consult with your Pediatrician to help select the right Bottles and Nipples for your baby.