Your home and your car have signature scents, whether you like it or not. So why not take control and make them something you—and everyone else—will want to inhale deeply? Sure, there are plenty of room sprays you can buy, but making your own is a super easy and satisfying afternoon project and allows you to develop a custom scent that’s juuust right for you.
What you’ll need:
- Essential oils of your choosing (our favorite combos were geranium with sage, lavender with bergamot, and palo santo with clary sage)
- Witch hazel (unscented)
- 2-ounce spray bottle
- Small funnel
- Label maker or a pen and label stickers
1. First, find your perfect house blend by sniffing around and deciding which combo appeals to you the most. Try to limit each scent to either a single note or a combination of two elements—anything more than that gets too complicated. Also, don’t apply undiluted essential oils to your skin as they’re actually super strong!
2. Now comes the exciting, chemistry-class part. (Don’t worry: There’s no test, and you don’t need a graphing calculator.) Using the mini funnel, add 24 drops total of your preferred essential oils to the spray bottle. We used 12 of each for our combinations, but you can also play around to see if you like different proportions better—maybe heavy on the lavender, light on the eucalyptus is right for you. This is the fun part!
3. Next, fill the bottle halfway up with 1 ounce of witch hazel using the funnel again. This will help the scent stick around the in the air and give it the strength it needs to eradicate the aura of takeout hanging around your kitchen. Then, add 1 ounce of water to dilute the whole thing a little bit and to make sure you don’t end up overwhelming everyone who walks through the door.
4. Put the spray bottle cap on (make sure it’s on tight), and give the bottle a little shake to mix its ingredients. Label your bottle and spritz away!
- Bed Bath and Beyond$9.99
- Bed Bath and Beyond$29.99
- Bed Bath and Beyond$11.99
- Bed Bath and Beyond$4.19
- Bed Bath and Beyond$5.99